After the success of preparing the Red Tartan for weaving, this month I’m now looking at the fabric for the collar.
The things to initially work out are the base set of pure colours it is made from; how these mix to produce the finished result; and the size of the pattern repeat.
To do this I need to look closely - VERY closely. I was hoping it might be possible, using a very high res scan, to isolate the individual threads and work out a colour match (see below), but the weave is quite tight, and the adjacent strands make it difficult to be objective about it, so that won’t work.
Pulling back, and looking at the design as a whole, I’ve worked out that the same sequence of colours run both vertically and horizontally. This means that where the same colour crosses itself I will see a square of the true colour, to which I can get a match.
In the picture above, this happens in the triangles on the far left (black) and the far right (turquoise).
This works well and I have soon deciphered the bands of colour needed.
One final check will show if I’ve got it right. Using the online tartan builder I used before, I enter the colours I have distilled and set them to even width stripes. I have to turn off the tartan mirror-repeat, and this gives me a surprising good result.
Still, I have all the information I need to take to an alternative (and hopefully cheaper) weaver to make it for me to a quantity more economic for what I am doing.
I already have a cunning plan here too . . . stay tuned.
Fascinating! So much work but great to see the payoff coming together. Looking forward to more updates.ReplyDelete
Amazing work! Bravo!ReplyDelete
Truly you are a genius when it comes to finding the right materials in the right colour and there's always a palpable air of excitement, adventure and tension in your blogs.ReplyDelete
I love how the final image plays with your eyes when having it full screen.ReplyDelete
The fabric starts to look transparent!