Bonhams Auction in 2009, and took some decent detail images at that time (see left).
After comparing the images from the auction with the red cravat, I think I can use the same artwork for both, just choosing an appropriate colour match for each.
I took a direct scan of one end of the red cravat so I have the correct shape for points as well as the size and spacing of the polka-dots (see below). Creating the red and turquoise cravats should therefore be relatively easy.
Firstly I took the scan I had of the original into Adobe Illustrator and drew the polka-dots to size and found the spacing between them, vertically and horizontally (see below).
Next I traced around the image of the cravat end to give me an accurate pattern shape. I had taken a tape measure length of the cravat tip-to-tip and I repeated and flipped the tracing to match this. It was then a simple matter of joining the lines, narrowing it to the correct width in the middle.
I then had the nett pattern size for the cravat.
Studying how it had been made I found it was simply folded in half along the long point-to-point edge, and hemmed around the other side.
My pattern therefore needs to be a flipped copy of the shape I have, with a fold line down the centre (see above).
My next stage is to create the necessary seam allowance all round. Luckily there is an easy way to do this in Illustrator: under the Object menu there is an option to Offset Path, which gives me the chance to enter the seam allowance I want and automatically create the line I need (see above).
Finally, I will be cutting the polka-dot cravat on the cross, so I need to have the pattern in two halves, with a diagonal splice in the centre. This is easily calculated in Illustrator, and a seam allowance is incorporated here too.
To get the artwork printed I need to make a jpeg that I can upload to the Spoonflower website, and so export it from Illustrator in the required format.
Up to this point I have done my artwork in black and white (see above), as it will be much easier to change the colour in Photoshop to match the red and turquoise, and I will have to go back fewer steps to make changes later.
I do need a little control over how the artwork is imposed, so I prepare this in Photoshop (see left).
All nice and simple. Lovely jumbly.
While I had access to the original, I used a Pantone colour book to find a best-match reference for the shade of red used, and I match this in the Photoshop file, as well as finding a good match for the turquoise as well.
The only fly in the ointment is how they fit on the fabric and how much I have to use to get at least one set made. I can fit four on two yards of material, with a little waste in the corners, but otherwise I can do it fairly efficiently.
As well as getting a perfect colour match for the red, I also was able to compare the cravat to some fabric swatches I have from Spoonflower, and make a best-match choice for material type and weight. Happily there is a very good match that I will be using, so I can now place an order to make some initial prototype cravats . . . . watch this space!
My ultimate plan is to make the cravats available for sale.
If you are interested in buying one, drop me a line to register your interest so I can gauge quantaties and which is the most popular to do.